I suppose every good recipe has a story behind it.
This recipe was taught to me by a guy I dated in college. To be quite honest, I was very hesitant to try his cooking since majority of the time we spoke on the phone I always heard the fire alarm going off in the background because he had burnt something. On the night he made this dish, we went to grocery shop together. He kept calling it “taco salad” so I went with the typical tex-mex Taco Salad with guacamole, pico, taco seasoning, etc… After over an hour of miscommunications, he convinced me that this WAS taco salad because his momma told him so. HAHA!
Though the relationship didn’t last, this recipe has been one that I’ve passed on to countless friends!
Ode to my ex’s mother:
Dear Cindy, though the relationship was not meant to be,
I’m forever grateful for this fantastic recipe!
And with that, here we go! Mexican Salad
- fresh spinach leaves (can use any other type of lettuce)
- 1 pound of lean ground beef (can substitute quinoa, I used both for extra protein)
- 1 bottle of fat free Catalina dressing
- 1 can of whole kernel corn, rinsed
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 bag of Frito’s corn chips
1. Prepare the ground beef and/or quinoa. I used a lean ground beef and a black bean quinoa. The flavors really complemented each other. Once ground beef is cooked through, drain well and set aside.
Roland brand Quinoa, ready in 15 minutes!
lean ground beef
2. Rinse both corn and black beans before heating them in the same skillet as the ground beef was in. Once warmed, mix ground beef, corn, and black beans together.
ground beef, quinoa, corn, and black beans with dressing on top.
3. Add Catalina dressing to the mixture, being careful not to add too much. I taste test as I go to get the right flavor.
4. Plate fresh spinach leaves and add Frito’s to the plate. This gives a nice salty crunch to the salad!
And voila! A simple and very quick meal.
- The best part, the dressing!